Sushi take-over of Jerusalem
Just a few weeks ago, it was very difficult to come across sushi in Jerusalem, especially kosher sushi. Apparently, not anymore. It’s as if someone heard me wanting sushi and I got my wish – but did they take it too far? These sushi restaurants are starting to pop up in every Jerusalem neighborhood, including taking over what used to be a cute little cafe called Faza in the Katamon/Palmach neighborhood. I loved Faza – with their TV entertainment system in the bathroom and wireless internet. 😦 But I also like sushi. What to do.
Here’s the list of kosher sushi restaurants in Jerusalem I’ve come across. You can find more details and coupons at Eluna and rest.co.il. In case you’re too cold to leave your house, I’ve included the phone numbers since most of them offer delivery. I put them in order of the ones I want to try out. How’s that for organization. Oh, and in case you’re not in Jerusalem and want sushi, here’s the master Israel sushi list.
- Japanika Sushi bar, Shlomzion Hamalka, city center, 02-624-7530
- Osaka, 1 Helene Hamalka Russian compound, off of Yaffo, 02-623-3787
- Korea House 23 Yoel Salomon, by Kikar Zion, 02-624-3355 (Update: I walked by on May 20 and they look closed, said they were only open to groups. Well, that was a short run. Too bad.)
- Ginger’s Noodle Bar 103 Herzl Blvd, Kikar Denya, Beit HaKerem, 077-2114440
- Sushi Bar Rehavia 21 Azza Street, Rehavia, 02-566 7477
- Sushi Bar Rehavia Takeout (in Katamon?!) corner of Palmach and Mivze Kadish: 02-567-1791
- Soya, Rahel Imeinu 1, German Colony, 02-5666777
- Gong, 33 Yaffo St, Downtown, 02-6250818
- Yoja 25 Emek Refaim Street, German Colony, 02-5611344
- Sheyan 8 Ramban Street, Rehavia, 02-561 2007
- Yakimonotoo Sushi Bar David Citadel Hotel, 7 King DavidSt, 02-621-1111
- Fridays at The Hadar Mall in Talpiot, Pierre Koening St.
- Little stand by the shuk – on Agrippas St. by Pashut Zol supermarket
- Tamago, 48 Emek Refaim, 077-515-0140 Sushi Bar Rehavia (German Colony), 48 Emek Refaim
- Taiku, 31 Emek Refaim, German Colony, 02-5665262
- RYU, 25 Emek Refaim, German Colony, 02-5611344
- Sushi Bar at the Plaza Jerusalem Hotel, 47 King George St, Jerusalem, 02-629-3019
Betayavon. In Japanese, of course.